Job Vacancy: Chief Financial Officer
Parties to the Nauru Agreement (PNA)
The Parties to the Nauru Agreement (PNA) are the Federated States of Micronesia, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands and Tuvalu that provides a framework for co-operation in the management and conservation of shared tuna stocks.
The PNA Office was established in January 2010 with its Headquarters in Majuro, Marshall Islands and PNA now controls the world’s largest sustainable tuna purse seine fishery.
The PNA works closely with existing regional and international organizations such as the Pacific Islands Forum Fisheries Agency, Western and Central Pacific Fisheries Commission and Oceanic Fisheries Programme of the SPC. Many PNA conservation measures are world firsts – such as high seas closures to fishing, controls on Fish Aggregating Devices (FADs), protection for whale sharks and the 100% coverage of purse seine fishing vessels with observers. PNA controls around 50% of the global supply of skipjack tuna, the most commonly canned tuna. The market value of the tuna resource in the PNA EEZs is more than USD3.5 billion.
The focus of PNA efforts to sustainably manage tuna is the Vessel Day Scheme (VDS). PNA members agree on a limited number of fishing days for the year, based on scientific advice about the status of the tuna stocks. Fishing days are then allocated by country and sold to the highest bidder. In this way, Pacific Islanders reap economic benefits from their sustainable management of tuna.
PNA is now seeking to recruit a Chief Financial Officer (CFO) in the PNA Head Office.
As a key member of the Senior Executive Management Team, the CFO will report to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO.)
The CFO will have primary day-to day responsibility for accounting, financial reporting, budgeting and cash management of PNA.
In addition, the CFO is responsible for
• ensuring compliance with all regulatory requirements, accounting standards and PNA Board directives and objectives as they relate to financial activities
• for managing PNA’s investment portfolio and advising the CEO and the Board on appropriate risk management strategies.
• in consultation with the Commercial Manager and the Vessel Day Scheme Manager provide professional advice to the CEO and the Board on broader operational and financial matters.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Commerce or Business Administration with post graduate qualification desirable.
• Full membership CPA Australia or equivalent professional accounting association
• Hands-on experience with QUICKBOOKS or comparable accounting software
• Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
• Ability to lead, plan and manage change
• Aptitude for decision making and problem solving
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience at CFO or Controller level in a SOE or private sector organisation with strong operational experience
• Demonstrated experience in timely financial reporting, planning and cashflow management
• Experience in living in remote locations and coping with the personal and work-related stresses that may be encountered in such environments
• Flexible and able to multi-task; can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment
• Be a proven leader and team player who is reliable, able to motivate and mentor others, has integrity, accepts responsibility and is accountable for performance and outcomes
• Proven ability to relate to and communicate effectively with a diverse range of people and stakeholders such as the Board, management, staff, government, clients, finance, legal and other consultants and stakeholders
The successful applicant will be offered a three year contract and an attractive benefits package including tax free base salary, performance bonus, pension, rent and education allowances, 6 weeks annual leave with leave fares.
This position is open to citizens of the 8 PNA partner countries only.
Please visit our website: http://www.vanguardpng.com/current_vacancies.php
Complete the Application Form and follow the website instructions to forward to Vanguard International, including a brief CV.
Alternatively, telephone (675) 3217464 or email: email@example.com
Applications close on Friday 8th September 2017.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.