Vacancy: Registrar of the Supreme Court
The Republic of Nauru is seeking expressions of interest from experienced legal practitioners who wish to be considered for appointment as Registrar of the Supreme Court of Nauru.
Applicants must be legally qualified with not less than 10 years’ practical working experience as a barrister, solicitor or advocate in a Commonwealth country.
The Registrar is the administrative head of the Judicial Department.
• Performs the duties of the Master, Registrar, Taxing Master and Keeper of the Records of the Supreme Court of Nauru.
• Shall be subject to any direction from either the Chief Justice or any Supreme Court Justice
• Shall be an ex-officio Commissioner for Oaths of the Supreme Court
• Provides necessary support towards the work of the Chief Justice, Justices and Magistrate
• Shall be authorised to take examination of witnesses
• Ensures that all the courts function effectively and smoothly
• Should promote and introduce improved court procedures and processes
• Conducts pre-trial conferences and such other hearings required by law
• Performs other duties and has such other powers and authority as may be prescribed by the Rules of Court
• Responsible for managing and strengthening the human, financial resources and assets of the Judicial Department
Selection Criteria and Professional attributes
The following attributes are considered as essential for the position:
• 10 or more years’ of legal practice in a common law jurisdiction either in government service or private practice
• 5 or more years’ in a leadership role either in the judiciary, legal practice or a related field
• Demonstrated track record of leading teams, people management and successful management of human resources
• Demonstrated experience with financial planning, budget management and strategic planning
• A sound understanding of the workings and needs of the courts, as well as judicial administration, processes and procedures
• Highly motivated individual who is able to work with minimal or no supervision
The following attributes are considered as desirable for the position:
• Experience or ability to work in a small island, developing country
• Experience or ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
• Ability to discharge duties promptly
• Demonstrated ability to multi-task and work under pressure with limited resources
• Effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills with peers and members of the public
• Committed to promoting & strengthening judicial administration
• Ability to use, or willingness to learn modern information technology
• Ability to work under minimal supervision
• Cultural sensitivity and tolerance
• Good character
• Common sense and good judgment
• Courtesy and patience
Expressions of Interest
EOIs are invited from suitably qualified interested candidates for the position of Registrar of the Supreme Court of Nauru.
Terms and Conditions of Office will be discussed during the interview with shortlisted candidates.
A detailed Curriculum Vitae comprising no more than 4 pages together with the name of 2 professional and 1 character Referees should be sent by electronic mail and addressed to: The Office of the Chief Secretary, Yaren District, Nauru. C/- Secretary for Corporate Services, Ms Peta Gadabu, email: email@example.com or the Chief HR & Governance Adviser, firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must be accompanied by a cover letter addressing details of how the applicant meets the selection criteria indicated.
Applications close Friday 11 August, 2017 (Central Pacific Time).
All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Only successful candidates will be notified